🇬🇧🌍Geopolitics of Visas and Geoeconomics Nomadism of Scientific Research

resarchers nomadism
Researchers travel

Archive, February 18, 2018, how researches travel

A vision of how geopolitics is shaped under the optics of reciprocity of visas is provided by a study of January 2016 done by three Iranian and a Belgian researchers.

It has been considered a network of 222 nodes, representing the countries of the world, and the links between them, depending on the fact that there is reciprocity need for non-mutual visa requirements. The first resultant is that about 5000 connections are ‘round trip’ and 10,000 ‘one way’. Connections can be grouped into four main: western, eastern-European and Middle Eastern, African, and Asian countries. Not always territorial closeness is a factor of absence or presence of visa : the emblematic case is the eastern-European and Middle Eastern de fact common area by Turkey, player of territorial union. Finally countries such as Iran and Sudan are seen, under the point of view of the network analyzed, practically isolated from the rest of the world as China is configured as a cluster to itself, given the limits imposed internally on foreign travel.

The useful OSINT resource for upgrading in rank and articulation of the visas relative to any country in the world is present at this link.

Another side for nomadism is addressed, in a October 2017 research published in Nature by Cassidy R. Sigimoto observing the flows that are derived from the publication of scientific papers. Sigimoto analyzed all the papers from 2008 to 2015 of researchers with at least eight active publications in the ‘Web of Science’ : the key factor used was the ‘country of reference’, where the first publication occurred and then the scientific origin of the author, so that he could trace the characteristics of nomadism. The macro findings are that 4% of researchers are mobile (about 600,000 individuals) : of these 27% no longer have contact with the country of affiliation, after the first publication, while the rest, 73% can define ‘travelers’ ; the global research hubs are United States, UK, France, Canada and Germany while those of higher quality, measured by the scores obtained by the works, are the United States, Canada and the countries of Northern Europe.

The joint intelligence analysis of the two works leads to the conclusion of how to adopt targeted geopolitics, through a reasoned visa policy for the scientific and cultural quality of permits, leads to non-indifferent structural economic benefits in terms of research produced by quantity and quality.

This post was originally published on February 18, 2018, in Italian version on www.thescanner.info .This is adaptation of a neuronal Italian/English AI translation by IBM Watson.



Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store